1/16/07

Potatoes Gratin Recipe


Potatoes Gratin

I made this recipe last night and had to share it with you because it was really good. It's a recipe that I've had for a long time but have never gotten around to making. The original recipe is from Martha Stewart but I needed to make a much smaller portion so I used the ingredients in smaller quantities. I also used a different type of potato. For her original recipe click on the Martha Stewart website and look under Potatoes Gratin.

My version:

1 Tablespoon butter
4 cloves of garlic, mince
3 large Yukon Gold potatoes
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1 - 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese, grated

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees

Butter a 9-1/4" baking dish

Scatter the garlic into the baking dish

Slice the potatoes as thin as you can. For this I used the side blade on my box grater and the slices were like paper which was great. If you don't have a box grater or a mandolin, just try to slice them as thin as possible.

Place a layer of the potatoes in the baking dish. Sprinkle salt and pepper and rosemary over the potatoes, and then top with approximately 1/3 of the cheese. Continue layering like this, finishing with a top layer of cheese. With your hands, press the potatoes down into the dish gently.

Pour the cream over the potatoes and cheese.

Bake, uncovered, for approximately 40 minutes or until brown on top. Serve hot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are yummy! Thanks for sharing. I hope you keep giving us recipes because I'm learning to cook